It's Time To Run
Jan 12, 2015
It’s a new year and with it comes new adventure in God! He is always on the move and always building His church, but it seems that we are often listening more closely at times like this. New adventure is definitely upon our Grace Church Spokane family this year, and I believe God is telling us "It's time to run" as we step forward in faith in 2015! This promise from Isaiah is resonating in my heart and mind:
“Thus says the LORD who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you:
Fear not, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.
They shall spring up among the grass like willows by flowing streams.” (Isaiah 44:2-4, ESV)
We are 2 ½ years into laying foundations and gathering God’s team to build Grace Church Spokane here in our great city. I believe God wants to encourage us and breathe new life into our vision and mission, from this prophetic passage, so here we go!
1. Don’t be afraid, but remember that God chose us for this mission! This was his idea, not ours. He is the one who initiated this, and he will be the one to complete His mission through us. (Would we want it any other way?) Don’t grow weary in well doing and don’t give up, because harvest is on the way (Galatians 6:9). God will see to that, so let's run!
2. It's time to run because God is promising to water the thirsty land, and pour out His Spirit on us and our children!
- Expect times of freshness in your personal life, times of favor and enjoyment of God’s presence.
- Expect to see God pouring out his Spirit and his blessing on our kids! Randy and Cherri Simon are going to be launching our new kids ministry program in February and are excited to build not just a Sunday morning child-care program, but a program to train and equip our kids to enjoy and serve God as full members of his church. There is no “Jr. Holy Spirit,” right? Right! The same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead has plans to bring our children into his great life and purpose. How exciting!
- Expect the future to be shaped by the steps we are taking this year! There are those who have yet to come to faith in Christ who will be known as “descendants” of the Grace Church Spokane family. Future sons and daughters of God - as well as future churches - will run with the blessing of God upon them because of his Spirit at work through us today.
3. It's time to run becuase God is promising multiplication! If you’ve ever seen willow trees that are well-watered, they put shoots out everywhere. New trees crop up all around and it’s extremely natural. In fact, it's extremely difficult to stop the spread!
- I believe God has commissioned us to ask him to multiply us this year and to expect him to do exactly that!
- We have opportunity upon us to multiply not only in our children’s ministry, but also our prayer life as a church. We are very close to securing space that will give us excellent opportunity for monthly worship and prayer gatherings as well as smaller weekly times of prayer. This new space would literally multiply the current access we have for almost the same expense! (I will be more specific regarding the space once we have a solid rental agreement in place, which should be by the week of January 19.)
- Let’s ask God to multiply us this year in the depth of our relationships, in new friendships, in evangelistic effectiveness, and in every way!
- I am personally asking God to literally multiply our ability to give at Grace Church Spokane as a people together. To accomplish what we believe God is calling us to do together in Spokane and across the nations in 2015 will require a budget of $50,000, with $56,000 giving us some “wiggle room” and being a literal doubling of our local church giving this year. At this point you may be thinking I have gone crazy! Doubling a budget sounds a bit ridiculous, but our total giving (including gifts from non-members) in 2015 was over $38,000. We are only $1,000/month away from meeting the goal and we’ve barely started the year!
- I believe we are poised to double our weekly Sunday gathering numbers, double our participation in spiritual gifts, and double (at least!) our Community Group participation. Is this a daring goal to publish? Absolutely. Is it crazy? Maybe, but I actually feel like God is asking us to ask him to do these things in 2015. I received a prophetic word from one of our Grace Church leaders in November challenging me that it is time to set a strong pace, and that other leaders would take up the challenge from God to keep the pace with me. I don’t take this flippantly, and I’m not big into “numbers goals,” yet I seriously feel the call of God to lead boldly, daringly, and to speak out loud what I feel he is saying to us as a people.
Will you join us in this dangerous vision? Will you run with me and with our Grace Church Spokane team? Will you pray with us for God to accomplish his will in and through us? I am personally excited for the part we get to play in God’s church in Spokane and in the nations! It’s time to run.